The Beginning of Us


July 3rd, 1999 was a breezy hot summer day in California. Surrounded by family and friends, we made our vows before God. The day went by like a flash but the sweet memory lasts until today.  “I will be here”, a song he sang for me, for us, will forever have a special corner in my heart. July 3rd was a lovely beginning of us. 




Today, we would’ve celebrated our 21st anniversary. 


This morning my daughter asked me “So, do you want to celebrate today or not?” Honestly, I didn’t know how to answer. Last year, the kids and I celebrated the day by getting into one of the most thrilling experiences in my life. We went up to the mountain and embarked into a “tree-top”experience, where we climbed up to the top of tall trees and with every courage in our bones, tried to conquer obstacle courses.

“July 3rd will always be a special day for me and for us”, I answered my daughter.

It was the beginning of you, my children

Being married changed me. Being married to him made me who I am today. It was not an easy road, we fought, we argued, we challenged each other, we got on each other’s nerves, we drove each other crazy, we agreed to disagree, we failed, we grew, we loved. we forgave, we forgot, we tried again. Although it didn’t seem to have a happy ending, for me our marriage was divine, necessary, precious, and worth it. 





It was the beginning of us
It was one of the new beginnings of my life 


So, what’s for the future?
It has been nine long years since I was married. By God’s grace, our broken hearts were mended and even more molded into stronger ones. The kids are growing up fast and we are moving forward. Beautiful memories that were once painful to remember are now bringing us laughter and happy tears. I will continue to remember July 3rd and I pray the kids will too. And even if God takes me to another new beginning, this day, the beginning of us, will always be a part of us.

To my fellow widows & single moms, anniversary is one of our toughest days of the year. 

Some of you might still have an intense pain on your anniversary, but I hope that one day when your heart is healed, you will remember the beauty of the beginning of you and your children. Oh, how I wish our lives would be perfect. Oh, how sometimes I would envy any couple who shared about their anniversary. Oh, how I wish, my kids grew up celebrating the love of their mom & dad. But one thing I believe, God has more than enough grace for you and me, the Grace that will give us the strength to endure hard reality.


I pray that wherever you are in your healing journey, you will always feel loved, secured and protected. You are never alone (and especially) on your anniversary.


We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, 

the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. 

Because of the joy awaiting him, 

he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. 

Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. 

Hebrew 12:2




Love & Prayers, 

FW



Comments

Popular Posts