Back to the Basics


Day 70 of Shelter in Place, Indonesia

Today I realized that 2020 was not my first time being quarantined. In Chinese tradition, a mother who just gave birth and the newborn baby will need to be quarantined for 30 days at home in order for the mom to gain back and the baby to build stronger immune. Since I have three kids, I have gone through quarantine three times. I remember the first place I asked my late husband to drive me was Target. I walked to the store feeling dizzy and exposed, such a weird experience.

In summer 2011, when my late husband passed away, I somewhat quarantined myself for the whole summer. Life was abnormal and in brokenness I had to shelter myself from the possibility of getting hurt.

Each quarantine changed my life, but the fourth one shook to the very core of my being. In grief, I spent days soaking the carpet with tears. Other than being a mother to my kids, I let go of everything that I usually held on dearly. Routines, neatness, proper look was no longer important at that time. I let other people take care of me, I let friends clean my house, I let relatives teach my kids. Grief forced me to change.

In quarantine, I made some decisions to simplify life in order to survive. As I shared here, grief gave me a pair of grayscale glasses. I turned my colorful world into black, white and grey, including my wardrobe and oh I also gave up my passion in shopping. Since then I became comfortable living with just the basics.




Fast forward to May 2020, in my fifth quarantine, there were days when I doubted & worried about the future of the family, the business, the ministry, the church, the world. When I heard that someone I know got infected by the virus, some survived, some did not. When I looked at the sales and the financial report. When I saw families and children are hurting. Doubts crept in. But over and over again, God reminded me how miraculously I survived grief and how He provided everything that my children and I needed.  

In Matthew 6, Jesus told His disciples and the crowd not to worry. He mentioned three basic needs of men: eat, drink and wear. And then He said ...

"Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?"

Here, Jesus is reminding us to be concerned with the right things, the ultimate issues of life, and He is inviting us into the basic, a relationship with Him. Because only in the intimate relationship, when we truly seek Him with all of our hearts, we will live in trust, and therefore we shall truly live.

So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:31-34

Friends, as life has been toned down to the basics, I believe God is inviting us to go deeper and really look into the basic, His Kingdom and righteousness, things the world cannot offer.

Friends, you and I will walk out of this quarantine changed and ready for the new season. My prayer is with you. You are never alone.


Love,
Felecia


Comments

Popular Posts